Our Vintage Designer Collection Drops Next Week!
Posted on 26 February 2016
We've been busy curating our newest collection, and we're excited to drop some more high fashion pieces from the 80s and 90s. Here's an early look at some vintage designer pieces that will be up on the site starting next week, along with some info on what those designers were up to in the 80s and 90s.
- In 1999 Akris became one of only a few non-French fashion houses to become a member of the French Federation of Fashion and of Ready-to-Wear Couturiers and Fashion Designers.
- Bill Blass rose to prominence in the 70s, and by the early 80s he was one of the most well-recognized American designers with celebrity clients like Anjelica Houston and Barbara Streisand.
- In 1999 Mario Testino shot his first campaign for Burberry and featured supermodel Kate Moss who is still a brand ambassador for the label.
- Caroline Herrera launched her first runway show in 1980 and featured future supermodel Iman.
- Gianfranco Ferre became head designer for Dior in 1989 and his collection won the Dé d'or.
Diane Von Furstenberg
- Diane von Furstenberg re-launched her company in 1997 and re-introduced the wrap dress to a new generation.
- In the 1980s Karl Lagerfeld designed clothes under 30 licenses and also became the chief designer for Chanel in 1983.
Oscar de la Renta
- In 1991 Oscar de la Renta became the first American fashion designer to show a collection at Paris fashion week.
- In 1983 the YSL show at the Metropolitan Museum in New York became the first museum exhibit devoted to a living designer.